Sunday, February 19, 2012

Miyazaki!

So, I decided to do my paper about the films of Hayao Miyazaki.  Not all of them, though I plan on watching them all within the next week, to make sure I know which ones I want to write about.  I am almost definitely planning on My Neighbor Totoro and Ponyo, though that might change.  I think i want to do Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind as well.  I watched it last night, and it is fantastic, and as the first film from his Studio Ghibli I can see a lot of the seeds for his later films.

(also, can I just say that the newly redubbed English version of My Neighbor Totoro with the Fanning sisters really kinda drives me nuts...I don't know why)

I think that it is going to be a good and interesting paper.  Still a little worried about the interview requirement, though.  Hmmm, maybe I could interview Sesson Sensei...I don't know what kind of insights she would have though, she did her Mission in Japan quite some time ago.  She does like Totoro, so maybe she would be able to give me an idea about how that kind of film represents something in Japanese culture, though I don't really want to go that direction in my paper, it might be a good introduction topic.  Or I could get in touch with the other Japanese professors at CWI or BSU.

No comments:

Post a Comment