Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Pretentious Book List


So, in my last post I pretty much spewed a bunch of books out at you, and said "I liked these, you might, too" and left it at that.  This list is not that list.  This is the list where I get to pretend that I am all pretentious like and say, "You have to read these book or you are a terrible human being and an ignoramus" and then leave it at that.  So, here goes.  (also, I am sure that there are books on your list of these books that I haven't read, which makes me a terrible human being and an ignoramus as well)

To Kill a Mockingbird--Harper Lee
I read this book in high school and could not put it down, even when our teacher told us not to read ahead.  I am having a hard time articulating why this book was so good, but I feel that it is very important that you read it.  Something about the struggle for justice, and how the world isn't always fair, and how the right thing isn't always the popular thing.

The Telling--Ursula K. LeGuin
About a human going to live among an alien race to decide whether they can join the cool species club by observing them and making sure they are actually as cool as they look from the outside.  It is about knowledge suppression and discrimination and abandoning your way of life because you think that someone else might want you to.  Fascinating and deep, if I ever teach a literature course on speculative fiction (which is one of my dreams should I actually become a college prof) this will be on one of my first choices.

The Chronicles of Narnia--C.S. Lewis
Because everyone should be able to dream about finding another world in the wardrobe.  Also, because it has influenced generations.  I also think it is important because it is fairly obvious as a biblical parallel, not for the inherent idea that it is biblical, but because that much allegory/symbolism is difficult to do and still be interesting and not overwhelming.

Harry Potter--J.K. Rowling
You might laugh, but I seriously think everyone should read these.  They are not just for children (actually, I feel they are mislabeled as children, and should be placed in the young adult section).  I feel that the Harry Potter series is very well written, the characters are well developed, and the world is meticulously built.  I also think that Rowling has some strong themes displaying what is right and wrong, the strength it takes to stand up for what is right, the power of sacrifice, and the importance of determination.  Harry can teach us a lot, even if we can't ever cast a single spell.

A Separate Peace--I don't remember and I am too lazy to look it up
It has been such a long time since I read this one that I don't remember who wrote it.  It is another that I read in high school and couldn't put down.  The struggles of the boys in this story to deal with competing, living, accepting, and growing up caught me.  Maybe it was just that I read it at the right time of my life, but it has stuck with me.

On Writing--Stephen King
Anyone who reads or writes should read this.  It is a book about writing that is unlike any other book about writing I have ever read (and I have read quite a few).  It is half biography and half tips and tricks and half this is what works for me.  And yes, that means there is one and a half books in this one book.  You get that much out of it.  King is a master, and even if what he does won't work for everyone, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at what it is that he does to succeed.

Bel Canto--Ann Patchett
Not because it has some great universal theme (though it kinda does) but simply because it is written so well, so tight and smooth, not a word out of place.  I started reading it because the blurb sounded interesting, I kept reading it because the language was gorgeous, I finished reading because I had fallen in love with the characters and had to see them through to the inevitable end.  The setting is a birthday party for a very successful Japanese businessman thrown by a small probably South American country.  The story begins when the party is taken hostage by a group of guerrilla rebels.  It ends the only way it could possibly end, but nevertheless leaves you breathless.  Go read it, I can pretty much promise that you won't regret it.

That's it.  (also, on the last list I left off A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin, which is a bunch of fun, and I love it).

2 comments:

  1. I thought that last one said "Kathy Griffin" and was like. Rob. No.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao, she can be amusing in a sort of shock-jock way, but I have never read one of her books...

      Delete